The Account section is accessible to your school's Populi Account Administrator(s); the Invoices/Payments view is also available to your school's Billing Contact. It lets you control general settings for your school's Populi setup, security, and appearance, as well as download data backup files, monitor various account usage stats, and use some high-level reporting tools. You can even set up a localization—a translation of Populi for your users who don't speak or read English.
To get to the Account section:
- You must first be listed as an Account Administrator or Billing Contact.
- Click your name next to the orange Help button in the upper right of the screen.
- Select Account & Settings.
- Click the Account view (next to My Settings).
Every school has at least one Populi Account Administrator (AA). The AA is a high-level Staff member who ought to have access to the sensitive settings and information in the Account section. In other words, don't hand out this access willy-nilly! It's best to have two AAs, and also good to keep this access restricted to those who need to have it.
AA's are initially set up by Populi staff during implementation. After that, only AA's can add more AA's by going to Account > Security.
The contact info fields here are reproduced on your school's transcripts and other exported documents (financial statements, etc.) that use Populi's built-in templates. Additionally, you'll find a couple settings that govern how your school's data will be reported to IPEDS.
Security settings govern how a variety of sensitive items are handled, including whether your school uses login approvals. Read about security settings.
The appearance settings let you customize the colors in your school's Populi header. These are usually set up for you during implementation.
Integrations and Single Sign-On
Localizations let you supply a translation of some or all of your school's Populi site for non-English-speaking users. Read about setting up a localization.
Populi lets you download your core data once every 24 hours from Account > Backups. The backup file includes:
- Academics: Everything from transcripts to transfer credits, from course lessons to the course catalog
- Financial transactions: Invoices, payments, financial aid, and donations
- Admissions: Applications and all the information you have for your leads
- People: All the people in your system together with all their contact and other personal info
- Other items: Your entire Bookstore and Library
You can manually download the backup every 24 hours or use the API to automate the process.
- Click Request a Backup.
- Populi will begin preparing CSV files of your current data. This process can take anywhere from several minutes to several hours. It will go on behind the scenes, so you can go do something else for the time being.
- When the backup is ready, you'll receive an email. Return to the Backups section to download it. Backups are available for one week from the time they are made available, after which they are deleted.
- Keep the backup file safe! Now that it's exported from Populi, it's up to you to keep this information secure.
The Files view keeps track of how much of your Pricing Plan's file storage your school has used. "Files" include all files the users at your school have uploaded to Populi—including documents, images, videos, profile pictures, etc. See the Populi Terms of Service for details.
You can also manage the personal file storage limits for the user role groups at your school:
- Click next to the user role.
- Enter the number of MB worth of file storage you wish people with that user role to have.
- Every 1000 MB is a GB.
- Remember that individual users' personal file storage counts towards your school's overall file storage limit!
- If a user has multiple roles, the role with the highest limit will determine his personal file storage limit.
The Reporting view gives you three reporting tools, each of which can be filtered to zoom in on the relevant information:
- Changes: This is a master changelog of all items in your school's Populi instance for which changes are tracked.
- Logins: This records all login attempts—both successes and failures—recorded for your school's Populi instance.
- Integrations: Primarily of interest to technical folk and masochists, this records the various messages (successes and errors) produced by your school's various software integrations.
Populi invoices are generated on the first of every month. When an invoice is generated, Populi emails your school's Billing Contact. Current and past invoices are found in Account > Invoices/Payments.
Please see the Populi Terms of Service for an explanation of how we calculate your charges.
Pricing plan: This shows your pricing plan and details.
Payment type: You have two payment options—Manual eCheck and ACH (Automated Clearinghouse).
- Manual eCheck requires that your Billing Contact log in every month to manually-enter payment details—just like writing a check.
- ACH allows us to automatically debit your account on the 5th or 14th day of the month for the amount of your latest invoice.
Account details: Enter your account details so we have the information we need to debit your account.
Billing contact: Type a name and select the person who should receive Populi invoices and other billing notifications.
Copy billing notifications to: It's always a good idea to have the invoice and billing notifications go to more than one person. Enter additional email addresses for others who should receive these notifications.