1. Get the app!
- Get the iOS app at the Apple App Store. The Populi app works on devices running iOS 9.0 or later.
- Get the Android app on Google Play. The app works on devices running Android 6.0 or later.
2. Allow location access
Populi uses your phone's Bluetooth radio to detect your instructor's own Bluetooth-enabled devices running a Populi mobile app. In order to do this, you need to grant the app access to your phone's location.
- When you first log in to the app, you'll be asked to allow Populi to access your location while you're using the app. Tap Allow to permit this.
- iOS will also ask you if you would like to make data available to nearby devices even when not using the app. Again, tap Allow.
- You can allow/disable this access at any time using your phone's settings:
- In iOS, go to Settings > Privacy > Location and find the Populi app in the list.
- In Android, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is set to On.
3. Go to class
All you need to do now is show up to your class (with your phone, of course!).
- Your professor starts the Bluetooth attendance beacon on his device.
- Open the app on your phone (log in if necessary).
- The app dashboard will show you an Attendance Check-in button.
- Tap the button. Provided you're in proximity to the professor's device, the app will record your attendance.