As detailed in this post on the Populi blog, we recently improved login approvals—instead of relying on a code sent via text message to your mobile phone, the new version now asks for a passcode generated by an "authenticator app" on your smartphone.
If you're using login approvals for your Populi user account, make sure you upgrade to the new version by July 1, 2021!
At that time, we'll be removing the old text message version; afterwards, you'll be required to use the authenticator app instead.
How do I upgrade?
Here's how to start using the authenticator app version of login approvals. This should take just a couple minutes and will result in a more secure Populi account:
- Log in to Populi.
- Click your profile picture in the upper right of the screen and select Settings.
- In the left sidebar, click Security under My Settings.
- Under the Login approvals setting, click Upgrade to authenticator app.
- Download an authenticator app to your smartphone. Here are three that we use at Populi:
- Once you have the app installed, click Next on the Populi screen.
- Populi will display a QR code on the screen.
- Open your authenticator app and use the add account function. Hold your smartphone camera up so it can see the QR code on your computer screen. Follow the prompts in your app to finish adding the account.
- Enter your Populi password.
- The app should have generated a six-digit verification code at this point. Enter that code below the password.
- Click Next.
- Populi will generate a recovery code for you. This code lets you log in to Populi one time in case you lose access to your smartphone (and can't use a code from the authenticator app). Copy the recovery code and store it in a safe place.
- Click Done to go to Populi > Home.
- In the future, whenever you log in to Populi on a new device, check your authenticator app for a freshly-generated passcode and enter it where requested on the Populi login screen.