Tags let you quickly attach a simple bit of data to the people and organizations in Populi. Among other things, they help you identify groups of people who share the tagged characteristic; this comes in handy if you wish to communicate with them in a group or run a report focused on them. For example, you tag a group of male students with your custom Athletic Scholarship tag. You can then email all of them to remind them to keep their grades up to maintain their scholarship qualifications. Or you might run a report on them to check on their cumulative credits and GPAs.
There are two types of tags:
- Custom tags are created as-needed by Staff users at your school. You can use them for almost anything.
- System tags are added to people when some other event in Populi triggers it. For example, an undergraduate student completes a certain number of credits, earning him the Sophomore tag. Another student is disciplined and receives the Suspended tag. An alum donates $4,000 to the Library and receives the Active Donor tag. You can also create custom system tags based on your school's honors and program standings.
You can't create custom tags that match system tags. Nor should you use tags to track information that Populi already tracks. For example, don't tag people with the Student role as Students.
Here's how to create custom tags and add existing tags to people and organizations:
- Go to the person or organization's profile.
- In the leftmost column under the profile picture, you'll see a heading called Custom Tags. Click edit tags.
- Type the tag. As you type, existing tags may be suggested.
- To create a new tag, finish typing it and press the enter/return key on your keyboard. This creates the tag and adds it to this person/organization.
- To select an existing tag, click it with your mouse or use your keyboard's arrow keys to highlight it and press enter/return.
If you click a tag on a profile or find it using Search, you'll be taken to its page. You'll see every person and org who has the tag and you can perform a number of actions:
- Export: Create a spreadsheet of the people or organizations with the tag.
- Email/Text People: Communicate with the people who have the tag.
- Print Address Labels: Create mailing labels for both people and organizations with the tag.
- Apply Communication Plan to People: Put everyone with the tag on a communication plan.
Contacts > Tags
Contacts > Tags shows you all the custom and system tags at your school.
- Merge tags by clicking next to the tag you wish to merge into another. Pick a tag with which to merge it, and if you wish, rename the combined tag.
- Edit a tag by clicking , or delete a tag by clicking .