Mailing lists are collections of contacts (both people and organizations) with whom you communicate as a group on a regular basis. One-time lists are mailing lists that you only need, as the name makes plain, for a one-off communication. When you send a communication to either kind of list, Populi sends it to the contact's primary email or mailing address.
Adding a new mailing list
- Click Add Mailing List.
- Give it a name.
- Click Save.
Adding people to your list
To add people to your mailing list, click the list's name to go to its page. Click the include/exclude/edit link in the right column to start adding people to the list.
- You can include or exclude roles, tags, individuals, or organizations from the list.
- Spouse options lets you include the spouses of list members—-which simply adds them to the list. You can also merge spouses, which combines a married couple into one recipient (e.g., John Adams and Martha Adams become Adams, John and Martha).
- Organization options lets you include all members of an included organization. You can also include any organizations to which belong any of the individual people on the list.
As you save your changes, the Recipients list in the left column will update to show you everyone included on the list. It will also alert you to any problems with the list's recipients (like missing addresses).
Using Your Mailing Lists
You can perform any of these actions by hovering over the mailing list block in the main Mailing Lists tab or by going to the list's page:
- Send Email: Opens the email compose window with a message addressed to the list's members (who have a valid, active email address).
- Print Letter: Prepares a printed letter and mail-merge addressed to the people on the mailing list.
- Export XLS: Creates a spreadsheet of the mailing list's Recipients—which reflects the Spouse and Organization options you selected.
- Click to delete the mailing list (or click the gear on the list page and select Delete....
The mailing list history records every time you've communicated with this group of contacts.
- You can change the visibility of any communication to allow more or fewer people to see it on recipients' Activity Feeds.
- Delete any item from the history by hovering over the item and clicking . This will remove it from the history and the recipients' Activity Feeds; it will not, of course, un-send any emails or letters that went out...
One-time lists work just like mailing lists, except that you can't save them for re-use.
- On the main mailing lists page, click Make a one-time list.
- Select the list's recipients just as you would for a regular mailing list (see above).
- Click Email to open the email compose window with a message addressed to your recipients.
- Click Clear to empty your selections and start over.
- Click Export to create a spreadsheet of the recipients.