Mailing lists are collections of contacts (both people and organizations) with whom you communicate as a group on a regular basis. One-time lists are mailing lists that you only need, as the name makes plain, for a one-off communication. When you send a communication to either kind of list, Populi sends it to the contact's primary email or mailing address.
Adding a new mailing list
- Click Add Mailing List.
- Give it a name.
- Click Save.
Adding people to your list
To add people to your mailing list:
- Click the list's name to go to its page.
- In the right column, click one of he include/exclude/edit actions.
- You can include or exclude roles (active or inactive), tags, individuals, or organizations from the list.
- Excluding something over-rides including something. In the above example, if someone has both the 17-18 Donor and Expelled tags, he will be excluded from the list.
- Spouse options lets you include the spouses of list members—-which simply adds them to the list. You can also merge spouses, which combines a married couple into one recipient (e.g., John Adams and Martha Adams become Adams, John and Martha).
- Organization options lets you include all members of an included organization. You can also include any organizations to which belong any of the individual people on the list.
Using Your Mailing Lists
You can perform any of these actions by hovering over the mailing list block in the main Mailing Lists tab or by going to the list's page:
- Send Email: Opens the email compose window with a message addressed to the list's members (who have a valid, active email address).
- Send text message: Send a text to list members with a verified text messaging number.
- Compose Letter: Prepares a printed letter and mail-merge addressed to the people on the mailing list.
- Print Labels: Sets up a print job of mailing labels.
- Delete...: Shuffles the mailing list off this mortal coil.
- Export XLS/CSV: Exports the mailing list's recipients—which reflects the Spouse and Organization options you selected.
The mailing list history records every time you've communicated with this group of contacts.
- You can change the visibility of any communication to allow more or fewer people to see it on recipients' Activity Feeds.
- Delete any item from the history by hovering over the item and clicking . This will remove it from the history and the recipients' Activity Feeds; it will not, of course, un-send any emails or letters that went out...
One-time lists work just like mailing lists, except that you can't save them for re-use.
- On the main mailing lists page, click Make a one-time list.
- Select the list's recipients just as you would for a regular mailing list (see above).
- Click Email to open the email compose window with a message addressed to your recipients.
- Click Clear to empty your selections and start over.
- Click Export to create a spreadsheet of the recipients.