Mailing lists are collections of contacts (both people and organizations) with whom you communicate as a group on a regular basis. One-time lists are mailing lists that you only need, as the name makes plain, for a one-off communication. When you send a communication to either kind of list, Populi sends it to the contact's primary email or mailing address.
Adding a new mailing list
- Click Add Mailing List.
- Give it a name.
- Click Save.
Adding people to your list
To add people to your mailing list:
- Click the list's name to go to its page.
- In the right column, click one of he include/exclude/edit actions.
- You can include or exclude roles (active or inactive), tags, individuals, or organizations from the list.
- Excluding something over-rides including something. In the above example, if someone has both the 17-18 Donor and Expelled tags, he will be excluded from the list.
- Spouse options lets you include the spouses of list members—-which simply adds them to the list. You can also merge spouses, which combines a married couple into one recipient (e.g., John Adams and Martha Adams become Adams, John and Martha).
- Organization options lets you include all members of an included organization. You can also include any organizations to which belong any of the individual people on the list.
Using Your Mailing Lists
You can perform any of these actions by hovering over the mailing list block in the main Mailing Lists tab or by going to the list's page:
- Send Email: Opens the email compose window with a message addressed to the list's members (who have a valid, active email address).
- Send text message: Send a text to list members with a verified text messaging number.
- Compose Letter: Prepares a printed letter and mail-merge addressed to the people on the mailing list.
- Print Labels: Sets up a print job of mailing labels.
- Delete...: Shuffles the mailing list off this mortal coil.
- Export XLS/CSV: Exports the mailing list's recipients—which reflects the Spouse and Organization options you selected.
The mailing list history records every time you've communicated with this group of contacts.
- You can change the visibility of any communication to allow more or fewer people to see it on recipients' Activity Feeds.
- Delete any item from the history by hovering over the item and clicking . This will remove it from the history and the recipients' Activity Feeds; it will not, of course, un-send any emails or letters that went out...
One-time lists work just like mailing lists, except that you can't save them for re-use.
- On the main mailing lists page, click Make a one-time list.
- Select the list's recipients just as you would for a regular mailing list (see above).
- Click Email to open the email compose window with a message addressed to your recipients.
- Click Clear to empty your selections and start over.
- Click Export to create a spreadsheet of the recipients.
Is there a way to make the default mail setting as BCC? I don't want all of the students to be able to see each other's e-mail addresses when we send them information.
If you send a mass email from Populi from a mailing list, or by clicking something like "Email Students" in a course instance, we send the message to each recipient individually so no one will see any one else's email address.
Put another way, if there are a hundred people on the mailing list, when you hit "Send", Populi sends 100 individual emails to 100 individual recipients, as opposed to one email with one recipient and 99 BCC's.
Is there a way to make institution-wide mailing lists? For example, can I make a mailing list that my administrative assistant, or the Registrar, etc can see and use?
Anyone with the Staff role can see any Mailing List... that includes Registrars, etc.
do you guys have email or newletter templates? Im looking to use a company called "constant contact" to help me with this, but before I do that, I wanted to be sure that populi didnt already have that feature.
If I were you, I'd go with Contact Contact or Mailchimp or some program like that. Populi's Communication features aren't really tailored for elaborate, HTML-rich newsletters of the type you're probably describing; they're meant more for streamlining intra-school communications.
Is there a way to make my mailing list private so that everyone with staff permissions can't see it? There are certain mailing lists that are only relevant to myself, but I don't want to use the one-time list feature.
There isn't a way to make those private at this time. But you're welcome to submit a feature request about that. http://support.populiweb.com/forums/179320
Is there a way to send a brochure or event flyer to a mailing list? Ideal would be to attache a jpg file (flyer is in jpg format) to a mailing list. Can this be done? Thanks
When you click to mail a Mailing List, it opens the regular Populi email window which has options to attach files. If you're not seeing this, please write us at email@example.com so we can look into any problems...