Communication Plans are sequences of email, letter, and to-do templates that help you consistently interact with the various people with whom your school communicates. Here's how they work:
- You create a new communication plan, filling it with email, letter, and to-do templates.
- The plan is applied to people in various ways—you can add it to them individually or add the plan to a group of people.
- The person who adds the plan to a person is usually the Sender; you can also designate someone else as the sender.
- The person to whom the plan is added is the Recipient.
- The sequence of communications you set up is initiated as of the day you add the plan. As these events occur, the activity feed keeps a complete record of them. You can also view and change scheduled plan events in the Scheduled Events report.
Creating a plan
- Click Add Communication Plan.
- Give the plan a name. This is for your own internal use—recipients will never see this.
- Start adding events. For each event you'll need to select...
- Day: Events are triggered based on how many days have passed since you added the plan to a person. If you enter 5, when a plan is added on 3/15, the event will be scheduled for 3/20.
- Actor: Choose whether the event affects the sender or the recipient. You can also assign the event to Someone else—this event will always affect the person you select.
- Action: Choose whether an email or letter is sent or received, or if a to-do will be assigned. After making this selection, choose which template you wish to use for this action.
Now that you've created the plan, you can start applying it to people (see below).
- Emails are sent on 7 AM of the day the event occurs.
- Printed letters are sent to the print queue on 12 AM of the day the event occurs.
- To-dos are due on the day the event occurs.
Editing a plan
You can edit a plan at any time. Any changes you make will not affect anyone currently on that plan—they'll only affect those to whom you add the plan in the future.
- Click the plan name in the Communication Plan list to go to the design page.
- Click Edit Communication Plan.
- Make your changes and save them.
Applying communication plans
There are several ways to apply communication plans. When applying a plan, you can designate yourself or someone else as the sender.
- On a person's Profile > Activity Feed, click add communication plan.
- Use the data slicer to add the plan to a group of students.
- You can add (and remove) plans to the people shown on your Admissions > Leads report as well as Donations > Donors and > Donations.
The Scheduled Events report gathers together all the emails, letters, and to-dos scheduled for a particular timeframe. Use the filter to focus the report on certain kinds of events. You can find events for specific senders or recipients, or show only overdue to-dos for a certain plan, or find all the events that contain the word "donation"—among many other things.
Click Actions to perform these tasks:
- Change due date: This lets you change the scheduled date/time for all of the events in your report (see above).
- Delete events: Removes the events in your report from all the actors involved. This does not affect the communication plans in which these events are included.
- Remove communication plans: Removes the communication plans and all associated events from all the actors in your report.
- Export: Creates a spreadsheet of the report.
The Problem Emails report includes all email addresses—together with the person to whom the address is attached—that are currently marked undeliverable.
- Hover over to see the problem that marked the address as undeliberable.
- Click to resolve the problem and set the address back to deliverable.
- Use the filter to focus the report on certain people or problems.