You can register for courses works when your school has set up online enrollment periods. Online enrollment periods start on the date of your school's choosing and conclude at the course or term's add-drop date. During these periods, you can enroll in courses, sign up to audit them, drop courses, and get on the waiting list.
Getting to the registration page
Remember, the registration page only appears during an online enrollment period that is open to you. If you don't see a way to get there, then it's not open! Here are the two ways you can get to the registration page:
- When you log in to Populi, you'll see an alert on your Home page that looks like this. Click the alert to go the registration page.
- Go to My Profile and click the Registration tab.
How to register for courses
First, let's get oriented:
- My Courses shows the courses (if any) in which you're already registered for the term shown in the selector.
- Available Courses shows the courses for which you may register.
- Course names link to the Course > Info view, where you can have a look at course details.
- Faculty names link to their Profiles.
- indicates that you've already passed this course. But it doesn't prevent you from registering for it.
To register for courses:
- Find a course under Available Courses and click in either the Enroll or Audit column.
- If you see in either column, you cannot register for that course in that way. Reasons include:
- There may be an enrollment limit placed on the course.
- You have not fulfilled the prerequisites to enroll in that course (the audit option may still be available in such cases).
- You have already registered for another section of that same course.
- The meeting times for courses having schedule conflicts with My Courses turn red.
- The enroll/audit options for alternate sections of My Courses deactivate .
- Hours/credits turn red if those courses would cause you to run afoul of the term's Max Hours/Credits limit.
- If you enroll in a course with no openings, your My Courses enrollment status will show Waiting List. The Registrar can control the waiting list; you can also move off the waiting list when other students drop the course.
A few things to remember...
- Select courses in consultation with your Degree Audit. The Degree Audit can tell you exactly what courses remain for you to complete your degree; it also enables “what-if” scenarios that show how your academic progress measures up toward other degrees.
- Registration will not give you the option to enroll in courses for which you have not fulfilled prerequisites. So, for example, sophomores can't enroll in courses reserved for seniors. However, the registrar can enroll you in any course; if you've been permitted to take courses not available to you on the Registration page, contact your advisor or the registrar.
- The registar or your advisor may apply a lock to your account. If that is the case, you'll see a yellow banner like this one at the top of the screen. As long as the lock is in place, you will not be able to make any changes to your registration—the registrar or your advisor must do so.
- If you're having trouble with registration, please contact a staff member at your school. If it's an academic issue, they can take care of it. If it's a technical issue, they'll tell us here at Populi!