Online references let a third party answer questions and submit comments about an applicant. After you design a reference form, here's how you'll use them in your application processes.
Adding the reference form to an application
- Add a new field to the application.
- Enter a name and description.
- Select Online reference as the answer type. Then select the specific reference form you wish to use.
- Click Save when you're finished.
After you save the form, the reference field will appear on applications started after that point (it will not be added to any currently in-progress applications).
The applicant fills out the field on the application
When the applicant comes to this field on her application, she'll enter the email address for her reference person (and maybe an optional note). Once she presses Send...
Populi emails the person a link to the reference form
...Populi will email the reference a link to the online form.
When the reference fills it out, it shows up as a Submitted field on the application
Once the reference has been submitted, there'll be a notification on the Admissions Dashboard.
You process the field
Now you process it as you would any other submitted field: you can accept it, reject it, etc.
If you need to change anything about the reference, you can do so at any time.
- Go to the student's application and click the name of the online reference field.
- Click edit this reponse.
- Make your changes—you can edit the email address or the message.
- When you're done, click Save under the message area.
- To resend the invitation, click delete response; you (or the applicant) can then enter a new email address and note.
- Click Done in the application field dialog. You can wait until the application is submitted to resend the reference invitation, or click Send invitation now.
Who can see the reference form?
Here are the people who can see the form (and when):
- After an online reference is submitted, it can be viewed by anyone with the Admissions, Admissions Admin, Registrar, or Academic Admin roles.
- The applicant never gets to see the reference—only whether or not the reference person has submitted it yet. The applicant doesn't get to see the reference even after he's accepted and given the Student role.