Tuition schedules let you automate tuition charges for course enrollments. Here's how they work:
- You create a tuition schedule, specifying how to charge students within the schedule's brackets. You can also include a refund policy.
- You add the schedule to a student account, whether on an individual student's profile, or to a group of students using the Data Slicer.
- When the student enrolls in courses, a pending tuition charge is created.
- After reviewing the pending charges, you invoice them.
Tuition schedules cover course enrollments, and so won't capture auditors. To set up an automatic charge for auditors, create an Auditor Fee.
Adding a new tuition schedule
Go to Billing > Settings > Tuition Schedules.
- Click Add Tuition Schedule.
- Type the name—e.g. "Undergraduate", "Doctoral 2014-2017", etc.
- Select what kind of units—credits or hours—this schedule will be based on.
- Finally, Save!
Now that you've created the tuition schedule, click its name to go to its page, where you set up the brackets and link the schedule to courses.
The tuition schedule's page
Keep in mind that when you make changes to a tuition schedule, those changes will only affect students to whom you attach the tuition schedule from this point forward. For example, if you have a student who already has the "Undergraduate" tuition schedule, he will not be affected by any changes you make to it today.
Tuition schedule info
You can change any of the tuition schedule's basic details by clicking edit next to Info.
- Change the name just by typing.
- Change the units by selecting a different one from the drop-down.
- Provided you've set up refund policies, you can add or change the schedule's policy by selecting it from the drop-down.
Retiring and deleting
Retire a tuition schedule if you've ever invoiced charges generated by that schedule but no longer want students to have it. Retiring prevents you from adding it to any more students.
You can Delete a tuition schedule if it is not listed as the default tuition schedule for any student. Remember, only delete mistakes!
Click edit next to Tuition Brackets to add or edit brackets.
- Select an income account from your Chart of Accounts.
- Enter the maximum number of credits/hours for the bracket (the minimum credits for the next bracket will auto-fill).
- Let's say you charge one way for 0-12 credits, and then another way for 12-18 credits. For the 0-12 bracket, enter 11.99 in Max Credits; this lets the next bracket pick up at 12.
To combine flat-amount and per-credit amounts in the same bracket (refer to the above image):
- Enter the maximum credits for the bracket just as you would for a regular bracket.
- Enter a Flat Amount and a Per-Credit Amount, and then enter a value in For Credits Above.
- This will charge the student the Flat Rate if she enrolls within the bracket's minimum credits and For Credits Above value.
- It will charge the student an additional Per-Credit Amount if she enrolls within the bracket's For Credits Above and maximum credits value.
- A student who enrolls in 8.5 credits will be charged $3697.50 [8.5 x $435]
- A student who enrolls in 16 credits will be charged $5000 [Flat Rate]
- A student who enrolls in 20 credits will be charged $5900 [$5000 + (2 x $4500]
Tuition schedules are attached to individual courses. When a student with a given schedule enrolls in a course with that same schedule, he will be charged for that enrollment.
Use the filter to view particular courses connected to this schedule. You can filter by course abbreviation, department, or academic program.
- Click edit to make changes to the course list.
- You'll have the same filter to sort through your course catalog.
- Check the courses to which you wish to attach the schedule; un-check courses to disassociate them from the schedule.
- When you're done, click Finished Editing Courses.