Tuition charges are triggered when a student enrolls in a course. Auditing a course is not the same as enrolling in a course; consequently, you cannot use a tuition schedule to charge your auditors! To charge auditors, you need to set up a fee with an Audit rule. Here's how to do that:
Step 1: Create a new fee
Here you'll lay the groundwork for your audit fee.
- Go to Billings > Settings > Fees.
- Click Add fee.
- Fill in the fee's settings. Pay special attention to the rule type:
- A flat fee will apply the fee amount only once, whether the student audits one course or thirty.
- A per credit/hour/courses fee will apply the amount according to the number of units/courses the student audits.
- When you've set up the fee to your liking, click Save.
Step 2: Add an audit rule to your fee
Here's where you specify how exactly this audit fee will be triggered.
- Click the fee name to go to the Manage Fee page.
- Scroll to the bottom where it says Fee rules. Click edit.
- Click add rule group.
- Choose one of the three Audit rules:
- Audit in Course applies the audit fee only when students audit that particular course.
- Audit in Course Group rule applies when a student audits any course that's in that course group.
- Audit in Any Course applies whenever a student audits any course in the program the fee is attached to.
- You can also use a not condition to specify that the fee trigger when the student audits anything besides the course or course group you specify.
- Add any additional rules to your group, if necessary. For example, you might create campus-specific audit fees: Charge this audit fee for Undergraduate program students who audit any course at the Portland campus.
- When you're done, click Save.
The audit fee is now ready for use; it will be automatically triggered when students audit courses and meet the conditions you set up in your fee rules.
Under number 4 above it says: "Audit in Any Course applies whenever a student audits any course in the program the fee is attached to."
I can't see any way to attach a fee to a specific program. Is this an outdated statement or am I missing something? It is important to us to be able to attach different audit fees to different courses (graduate v. undergraduate).
One further question:
Under number 3 at the top it says: "A per credit/hour/courses fee will apply the amount according to the number of units/courses the student audits."
In the fee settings, there is no option for "per hour". This presents a difficulty for us, as our tuition and fees are based on instructional hours, not credits (which we use for different purposes). The tuition schedule allows for charges by hour, but the fee options don't.