Tuition charges are triggered when a student enrolls in a course. Auditing a course is not the same as enrolling in a course; consequently, you cannot use a tuition schedule to charge your auditors! To charge auditors, you need to set up a fee with an Audit rule. Here's how to do that:
Step 1: Create a new fee
Here you'll lay the groundwork for your audit fee.
- Go to Billings > Settings > Fees.
- Click Add fee.
- Fill in the fee's settings. Pay special attention to the rule type:
- A flat fee will apply the fee amount only once, whether the student audits one course or thirty.
- A per credit/hour/courses fee will apply the amount according to the number of units/courses the student audits. This is the preferred option for most schools' audit fees.
Step 2: Add an audit rule to your fee
Here's where you specify how exactly this audit fee will be triggered.
- Click the fee name to go to the Manage Fee page.
- Scroll to the bottom where it says Fee rules. Click edit.
- Click add rule group.
- Choose one of the three Audit rules:
- Audit in Course applies the audit fee only when students audit that particular course.
- Audit in Course Group rule applies when a student audits any course that's in that course group.
- Audit in Any Course applies whenever a student audits any course in the program the fee is attached to.
The audit fee is now ready for use; it will be automatically triggered when students audit courses and meet the conditions you set up in your fee rules.