In this article, you'll learn how to check resource copies in and out of your library.
See this article for Circulation-related workflows for inter-library loans and transits.
When you check out resources, you are loaning them to a patron; the resources are leaving your library system.
- Go to the Check Out view.
- Find the patron and the resources he wishes to check out. You can do this two different ways:
- Click the gray ...scan... bar to put the Check Out view in scanning mode. Use your barcode scanner to scan the barcode on the patron's Populi-generated ID card, and then scan the barcodes on the resources she's checking out. All things considered, this is the more accurate method: you can only scan items that are physically present!
- Use the respective search fields to find the patron and resources. All things considered, there's more opportunity for mistakes with this method: you might select the wrong items or patron!
When you check in resources, you are recording that they have arrived at your current library. Use Check in to record when a patron returns loaned resources or a resource arrives from another library (whether because of an inter-library loan or a change of home location).
- Select the library at which these resources are being checked in.
- Scan the resources you're checking in. Again, this is the most accurate method (you can only scan what's physically-present!). If need be, you can also use the search to find the resources you're checking in.
- If needed, you can leave notes on the checked-in resources.
- Review the action items—you might need to reshelve the item, send it to another library, or prepare it for a patron who has placed a hold on it.