In this article, you'll learn how to check resource copies in and out of your library.
See this article for Circulation-related workflows for inter-library loans and transits.
When you check out resources, you are loaning them to a patron; the resources are leaving your library system.
- Go to the Check Out view.
- Find the patron and the resources he wishes to check out. You can do this two different ways:
- Click the gray ...scan... bar to put the Check Out view in scanning mode. Use your barcode scanner to scan the barcode on the patron's Populi-generated ID card, and then scan the barcodes on the resources she's checking out. All things considered, this is the more accurate method: you can only scan items that are physically present!
- Use the respective search fields to find the patron and resources. All things considered, there's more opportunity for mistakes with this method: you might select the wrong items or patron!
- Review any resource warnings that come up ( unavailable, etc.) and click Remove to take those resources off the list. You cannot complete the checkout until such resources have been removed!
- When you're ready, click Complete Checkout.
- If the patron wants a receipt, you'll see a link to print one after you complete the checkout.
When you check in resources, you are recording that they have arrived at your current library. Use Check in to record when a patron returns loaned resources or a resource arrives from another library (whether because of an inter-library loan or a change of home location).
- Select the library at which these resources are being checked in.
- Scan the resources you're checking in. Again, this is the most accurate method (you can only scan what's physically-present!). If need be, you can also use the search to find the resources you're checking in.
- If needed, you can leave notes on the checked-in resources.
- Review the action items—you might need to reshelve the item, send it to another library, or prepare it for a patron who has placed a hold on it.