In this article, you'll learn how to set up recurring donations.
Recurring payments/donations work with Stripe and Authorize.net—they do not work with external checkouts like PayPal!
Step one: set up a payment gateway
If you need more detailed instructions for this step, have a look at this article.
- Go to Financial > Settings > Payment Gateways.
- Click Add a payment gateway.
- Select a provider.
- If you select Stripe, click Connect to Stripe. Fill in the signup form (or log in with an existing Stripe account). Once you save, it will automatically connect to Populi.
- If you select Authorize.net, enter the Login and Transaction Key they sent you after your account was approved.
- Check the payment methods you wish to enable for this gateway.
- If you'd like to accept e-checks and ACH payments through Stripe, please contact Populi Support.
- To accept e-checks and ACH through Authorize.net, you'll need to sign up for eCheck.net™.
- Finally, click Save to add the gateway.
Step two: select your gateway Uses
Under __ Transactions, you can specify which payment gateway you wish to use for different kinds of online payments.
- Click the Donations use name to select a gateway for it.
- Select the gateway you wish to use for each payment type.
- Click Save to finish.
Step three: enable recurring donations
To enable recurring donations:
- Go to Donations > Settings > General.
- Scroll down to the enable recurring donations setting.
- Check Yes.
- (Optional): enter the text of the email you'd like sent every time the recurring donation is charged.
- Scroll back up and click Save Settings.
You can disable recurring payments for specific donation pages by going to the page's settings and un-checking allow recurring.
How recurring donations work
After enabling recurring donations:
- Donors who visit one of your online donation pages will have the option to make this a one-time donation or to give this amount monthly. If they choose monthly, they can then elect to make the monthly donation every month until they cancel or to make it a fixed number of times.
- You can also set up a recurring donation when you process a donation on the donor profile.
Managing recurring donations
If a donor has set up recurring donations, you'll see the Recurring Donations panel on Profile > Financial > Donations.
- Click to see your options for managing the recurring donation.
- Donors can manage their recurring donations via the donation management link, which they receive when they first set up the donation—and which you can re-send using the options.
- You can keep track of all recurring donations in the Donations > Recurring report.