Automations are actions Populi performs when some event in your system triggers it. For example:
- A student is enrolled in a course; whenever someone posts something on that course's bulletin board, Populi sends the student an email.
- An undergraduate application is accepted; when that happens, the lead's representative is assigned a to-do, the "Accepted Student" communication plan is added to the lead, and your financial aid office is informed about the incoming student.
Populi has several built-in automations, and there are innumerable custom automations Populi Support can add to your school's account. The bulletin board example is built-in; the application action is one example of a custom automation.
Account Admins can see a list of all automations—built-in and custom—in Account > Automations. Click the automation name to see what triggers it and what actions are performed. In Account > Reporting, there's an Automations report that shows which automations have been triggered (and how many times) in a given time period.
All users can view a list of the built-in automations that will notify them of certain events. These can be found in your personal Settings view under Notifications.
Without further ado, here are the built-in automations. These are role-specific; that is, students won't get financial aid notifications, for example.
- Notify me of group bulletin board posts: Whenever someone posts to a bulletin board in one of my groups, let me know.
- Notify me of group discussions: Whenever someone adds a discussion in one of my groups, let me know.
- Notify me of instructor bulletin board posts: Whenever an instructor posts to a bulletin board in one of my courses, let me know.
- Notify me of logins from new devices: Whenever my account is used to log in on a new device, let me know.
- Notify me of replies to bulletin board posts that I have contributed to: Whenever someone comments on a bulletin board post that I have contributed to, let me know.
- Notify me of replies to group bulletin board posts that I have contributed to: Whenever someone comments on a group bulletin board post that I have contributed to, let me know.
- Notify me of replies to group discussion posts that I have contributed to: Whenever someone comments on a group discussion post that I have contributed to, let me know.
- Notify me of student bulletin board posts: Whenever a student posts to a bulletin board in one of my courses, let me know.
- Notify me when a to-do is assigned to me: Whenever a to-do is assigned to me, let me know.
- Notify me when my grades change: Whenever my grades change in a course, let me know.
- Notify me when my social feed is followed: Whenever someone follows my feed, let me know.
- Updating percentage award from invoice: When a percentage-based aid award amount is updated because an invoice was posted to a student's account, financial aid staff will be informed.
- Updating percentage award from posted credit: When a percentage-based aid award amount is updated because a credit was posted to a student's account, financial aid staff will be informed.
If you'd like a custom automation set up for your school, contact Populi customer support. There are a wide variety of options you can ask for—in your request, tell us about the event that should trigger the automation as well as the actions you'd like the automation to perform.
Here is a list of events that automations can "listen" for. Each event has several possible conditions unique to the kind of event the automation is listening for. Consult this list as a starting point when you request an automation.
- Custom Field Added to Person
- Custom Field Removed from Person
- Person Added
- Person Custom Field Data Changed
- Person Deleted
- Person Updated
- Role Added/Reactivated
- Role Removed/Inactivated
- Social Feed Followed
- Tag Added to Person
- Tag Removed from Person
- To-do Assigned
- Password Changed
- User Account Added
- User Account Deleted
- User Blocked
- User Login
- Advisor Assigned to Student
- Enrollment Agreement Signed
- Student Program Added
- Student Program Removed
- Student Program Updated
- Transfer Credit Approved
- Organization Added
- Organization Deleted
- Organization Updated
- Assignment Grade Changed
- Attendance Changed
- Bulletin Board Comment Added
- Bulletin Board Post Added
- Course Added
- Course Updated
- Enrollment Updated
- Student Course Enrollment Status Changed
- Consequence Added
- Violation Added
- Application Added
- Application Field Status Changed
- Application Linked to Person
- Application Status Updated
- Inquiry Added
- Lead Added
- Lead Status Updated
- Online Reference Submitted
- Credit Posted
- Invoice Paid
- Invoice Posted
- Payment Received
- Recurring Payment Status Change
- Refund Posted
- Financial Transaction Voided
- Financial Aid Accepted
- Financial Aid Declined
- Donation Added
- Group Bulletin Board Comment Added
- Group Bulletin Board Post Added
- Group Discussion Added
- Group Discussion Comment Added
These are the actions that can be triggered by an automation:
- Add a communication plan
- Add a form request
- Add a tag
- Assign a to-do
- Remove a form request
- Remove a tag
- Remove from communication plan
- Send a push notification to active devices
- Send a text message to verified SMS number
- Send an email to a specified address
- Send an email to primary address