This article describes the built-in Populi Calendar app. Many schools are using Google Calendar (via Google Apps for Education). Please refer to their documentation if that's the case! Otherwise, keep reading...
Calendar shows you your personal calendar, the school calendar, and—for faculty and students—course meeting times. In addition, if others have given you access to their personal calendars, or if you have access to room calendars, you can select to display those, too.
If you've used other web-based calendars, you probably already know the basics:
- Select from Day, Week, or Month views, navigate forward or backward, or jump to Today using the buttons at the top of the screen.
- Check or uncheck calendars in the left sidebar to display or hide them.
- Do you have access to other calendars? Add them as follows:
- Click .
- Start typing the name of the calendar you want to see.
- If you have access to it, it will come up in the results; select it and click Add.
How to add an event
You can create new events for any calendar to which you have read/write access.
- Double-click the day, day/time, or time slot when the event will occur. You can also click Add Event in the left sidebar.
- Enter a summary and, if you like, a description.
- Choose which calendar this event should belong to. This selector always defaults to My Calendar.
- Check if the event will last all day.
- Enter the time period using the date-time fields.
- Click Save to add the event or click More to add additional event details:
- Check if you wish to be marked busy to others during this event.
- Do you want this event to repeat on a regular basis?
- Would you like to set an alarm for this event? If checked, we will send an obnoxious talking tropical bird to screech a reminder at you within a few minutes of the alarm you set. If no birds are available, we'll send you an email.
- You can set a location by typing a room name; if there's a schedule conflict, you'll need to choose another location.
- Likewise with resources!
- Invite people to attend your event. You can type names of Populi contacts or enter email addresses for people not in Populi.
After creating the event, you'll see it in Calendar (Attendees will receive an invitation). Five days before the event, you'll see it Events on your Populi Home page.
- Delete an event by viewing it and clicking the Delete button.
- Deleted events are stored for two weeks in the Trash view, where you can click to restore it.
Invitations displays your Incoming (you've been invited) and Outgoing (you've invited somebody) events with attendees.
In Calendar Settings, you can...
- Choose the default view—Month, Day, or Week.
- Share your calendar:
- Select roles—anyone with this role will be able to read and/or write to your calendar.
- List people (they must be Populi users) by typing their names and selecting from the results.
- Select their level of access—Read or Read/Write.
- Remove a person or role by clicking .