Here's how you refund unapplied financial aid to the source.
- You have already disbursed and posted the aid to the student's account. In other words, you cannot refund an award that is still in Setup mode or has only been scheduled.
- If you're using the DOE integration, the disbursement should have been accepted by COD.
Profile > Financial > Financial Aid
The refund-to-source process begins on the student's Financial Aid view, where you schedule the refund.
- Choose the correct aid year.
- Locate the award from which you need to issue a refund.
- Under that award, click Refund to source.
- In the dialog, enter the refund amount and the date on which you wish to schedule the refund.
- Click Save.
Now that you've scheduled the refund, it will show up in the award's panel among the disbursements. You can also find it in the Awards > Disbursements report. At this point, the refund has only been scheduled; it does not yet affect the student's account in any salient way.
Financial Aid > Awards > Disbursement Batches
Now that you've scheduled the refund, you'll need to run a batch in order to post it to the student's account (and sync it with COD).
- Go to Financial Aid > Awards > Disbursement Batches.
- Click New Batch.
- Next to Batch Type, select Refund to Source.
- Use the date fields to filter for refunds by their scheduled date.
- Check the aid types you wish included in the batch.
- When you're done filtering, you can check the boxes next to the refunds you wish to include in this batch, or uncheck the refunds you wish to exclude.
- Click Create this Batch.
Next you run the batch through its steps. Refund batches have three stages. You can cancel the batch while it is in setup, but not afterwards.
- During the Setup stage, you can still make changes or cancel the batch.
- When you complete the Posted... stage, the refund is posted to the student's account. If using the DOE integration:
- Populi tells COD that the original award amount is to be downward-adjusted. The adjusted amount is recorded in Populi as the COD Amount. This is because COD cannot record negative transactions, as would be expected for a refund.
- Populi shows you the award in the original amount together with the refund to source.