In this article, you'll learn how to set up recurring payments. (If you want to set up recurring donations, read this article.)
Recurring payments/donations work with Stripe and Authorize.net—they do not work with external checkouts like PayPal!
Step one: set up a payment gateway
If you need more detailed instructions for this step, have a look at this article.
- Go to Financial > Settings > Payment Gateways.
- Click Add a payment gateway.
- Select a provider.
- If you select Stripe, click Connect to Stripe. Fill in the signup form (or log in with an existing Stripe account). Once you save, it will automatically connect to Populi.
- If you select Authorize.net, enter the Login and Transaction Key they sent you after your account was approved.
- Check the payment methods you wish to enable for this gateway.
- If you'd like to accept e-checks and ACH payments through Stripe, please contact Populi Support.
- To accept e-checks and ACH through Authorize.net, you'll need to sign up for eCheck.net™.
- Finally, click Save to add the gateway.
Step two: select your gateway Uses
Under __ Transactions, you can specify which payment gateway you wish to use for different kinds of online payments.
- Click the Tuition & Fees use name to select a gateway for it .
- Select the gateway you wish to use for each payment type.
- Click Save to finish.
Step three: enable recurring payments
To enable recurring payments for tuition and fees:
- Go to Financial > Settings > Online Payments.
- Scroll down to the Recurring Payments setting.
- Select the recurring payments option you wish to enable:
- Simple only lets payers make monthly fixed-amount recurring payments.
- Plan only lets payers set up automatic payments determined by their payment plan.
- Both simple and plan permits both kinds of recurring payments.
- (Optional): enter the text of the email you'd like sent every time the recurring payment is charged.
- Scroll back up and click Save Settings.
Recurring Payment is a great function! Thank you for adding it to the system. I do have a request/suggestion. It would be helpful if the Recurring Payment could be set-up by the student to start on a future date rather than at the time of the first payment. I noticed that there is the ability to change the day of the month after the Recurring Payment has been established. I would assume that it would be possible to have the ability for the student to select a future date for the Recurring Payment to begin.