Here's how to set up an assignment that factors course attendance into your students' final grades...
Create an attendance assignment group
- Go to Assignments and click Add an assignment group.
- Give it a name and an appropriate weight.
- Leave the extra credit and drop lowest options empty.
Create an attendance assignment
- In Assignments, click Add an assignment.
- Enter the appropriate details; leave Extra Credit unchecked.
- Select your Attendance assignment group.
- For the assignment's type, select Attendance. This tells Populi to tie the assignment's grade to course attendance.
As the term progresses, take attendance as normal&mmdash;you can also make use of mobile beacons and the attendance kiosk. As you do, Populi will automatically calculate the assignment's grade, which in turn feeds into the Final Grade.
A few notes:
- As you take attendance, Populi calculates an attendance percentage. This percentage is then converted to a percent grade for the assignment; in turn, the percent grade is converted to assignment points.
- Your school may count a certain number of tardies as equal to one absence—for example, four tardies may equal one absence. This is determined by a school administrator.
- Remember that Excused will count the same as Present.
- The percentage is calculated based on the number of meeting times for which you've taken attendance—notthe total number of meeting times! Say you have thirty meeting times but have taken attendance for only ten...
- If your school fails students for non-attendance, you may notice students with a sufficient number of absences or tardies receiving a Failure for Non-attendance grade (often shortened to FN). Check with a school administrator about any such policy.