Here are the steps you'll take when you first set up your school's new Populi account. If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to contact your Populi Account Manager.
Setting up your account
Using the account setup site, you'll give us the basic information to establish your school's unique Populi site as well as your own user account.
- You'll receive an email from
email@example.com a link to the New Account Setup form.
- On that form, you'll provide us with your name and email address. We'll use this to set up your user account.
- You'll also provide us with basic information about your school. The most important item here will be your school's Populi URL—this will set up the site where everyone at your school will eventually access Populi. You'll also tell us whether you wish to import legacy data from your old system into Populi.
- Finally, you'll indicate your acceptance of our Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy.
Here's what will happen after you submit the form:
- We will create your school's Populi site with the URL you chose. It will include some basic academic information (which you can easily edit for your own purposes) to help you get started with setting up the various sections of Populi.
- You will receive a welcome email with a link to set up a password and log in for the first time.
- You will be listed as the Populi Account Administrator and Billing Contact for your school's Populi site. This will let you enter some important settings, pay your Populi invoices, add other users to your account, and upload data for migration into Populi (if required).
Very important: Add the Populi SPF record to your domain
The very first thing you'll need to do is add Populi's SPF record to your school's domain. If that sounds technical and over-your-head, don't worry—whoever manages your school's website (whether your own IT staff or an outside contractor) will know what this is. Basically, it lets Populi send email on behalf of your school's web domain in such a way that it will not be marked as spam or blacklisted. Since email is woven throughout Populi, you'll want to get this set up as quickly as possible.
This article has the details. It's a quick, simple change to make, but it does require access to your school's domain manager and a knowledge of how to properly edit your domain's TXT field.
Start adding new people to your system
Even if you're going to be the primary Populi user at your school, setup is a big job and you'll want to get others on board.
- This article describes how to add new people to Populi. You'll also want to consider which user roles you'll assign each person.
- This article describes how to set up user accounts.
- Point new users to our support resources and our guides to setting up different areas of Populi.
Two people you'll want to set up right away:
- Another person to serve as Populi Account Administrator (PAA). It's best to have at least two PAA's so that there's always someone who can access your school's Populi account settings.
- If someone besides you should have the job, a person to serve as your school's Billing Contact. The Billing Contact will receive notices about monthly Populi invoices and will have access to the Invoice and Payment Settings sections in your Populi Account. (If need be, the other PAA can be the Billing Contact.)
Add another PAA and Billing Contact in your account settings
After adding the two new people mentioned above, you'll go to your Populi Account and list those people in their respective areas of responsibility.
- To get to the Account section, log in to Populi. Click your name in the upper right corner of the screen and select Account & Settings.
- Under Account, go to Account Settings > Security. Scroll down to the Populi Account Administrator setting and add that person to the list. Scroll up to the top of the screen and click Save Settings.
- To change the Billing Contact, go to Account > Invoices/Payments > Payment Settings. Find the Billing Contact setting and search for the person you'd rather have. Scroll up to the top of the screen and click Save Settings.